Q of D: What's Going to Happen To My Mexicana FF Points

From: Manuel S
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2010 1:16 PM
To: Johnny Jet
Subject: Case of Bankrupt & lost FT points!

Hello Johnny:

I have my FT account in Mexicana, which due to absurd Workers Union demands went to bankruptcy. Although each case is different, do you know what has happened to FT points/kms of other airlines in the world that have disappeared?
I was told that sometimes partner airlines of alliances do accept redemptions, specifically when PanAm disappeared I was told users could redeem in Lufthansa. I was about to redeem a full international round trip, so loosing my points is very frustrating.

Thanks for your advice and best regards from Mexico. Sincerely,
Manuel Sandoval.

*********REPLY*********
Hi Manuel,

To get the most accurate answer after no one picked up at Mexicana I asked mileage guru Tim Winship of FrequentFlier.com. Tim wrote:

While several airlines have offered stranded Mexicana passengers discounts on tickets, I'm not aware of any airlines allowing members of Mexicana's loyalty program to use their miles for free flights.

At this point, it looks as though the best hope for those with Mexicana miles is that the company will recapitalize and resume operations. Realistically, that looks like an extremely unlikely scenario.

I'm afraid it may be time to say "Adios" to your miles.

Best.

Tim
Share on :
Q of D: What's Going to Happen To My Mexicana FF Points
Q of D: What's Going to Happen To My Mexicana FF Points
Reviewed by sayna tasya
Published :
Rating : 4.5